Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Herkimer Diamond Mining

A few days ago I went mining for Herkimer Diamonds. It was fun and I found some big ones and some small ones.
What are Herkimer Diamonds you ask???
They are not real diamonds but they are form of quartz crystal. They are not as rare as real diamonds but they are still a bit hard to find. The most amazing thing about them is that they are older than dinosaurs!!!

A beautiful specimen I found!

If you would like to visit Herkimer Diamond Mines yourself you can find more information here

10 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun mining & found some treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I used to b obsessed with dinosaurs:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to like dinosaurs and now my little brother does too

      Delete
  3. That's a really big one! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one big "diamond"! I'd love to hear about how you mined them. It sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pounded rock to break them but we didn't find any there, we found many in the dirt though

      Delete
  5. I love finding old stones like that. I didnt know anything about this particular diamond until reading this.Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete